Sunday 21 July 2019

Authority and the Exercise or Misuse of Power

It is often said that one only has power until one tries to use it, well I had the opportunity to demonstrate this to the Chef de Police of St Peter, Centenier Joao Camara.

He is a small man both in stature and in his own opinion of himself, I do not know what pain he has experienced in his life, but it has become clear that his motivations to hold the office of Centenier are not those which I would wish to support.

Our society has been built over centuries, the law is a suit of armour which when properly worn protects the individual from people like Centenier Camara who would exercise authority for their own personal satisfaction and self-aggrandisement.

He made a simple error but when I pointed this out to him, rather than apologise so we could both forget about it, he continued on. Acting with malice he made a succession of further errors in an attempt to prove himself to me.

It is not that I am a particularly clever bastard, but I do know how to read and whilst clearly many public servants assume that what they say is law, that is not the case at all and in most cases they are actually wrong or deliberately lying to try to trick you.

Those in authority get away with this in most instances because most people are too fearful to say "this is wrong" or they have a misplaced trust that the system works or they can't be bothered to expend the energy necessary to pursue the matter.

The system does work, but only because individuals such as myself exist to keep things in check from time to time.

It is no coincidence that I was called upon to give this lesson to Centenier Camara, I am often called into soul service for other people. Sometimes I am the intercession of the universe in other people's lives. At such times I have this deep understanding that the actions I am taking are not a lesson for me, but this is what is expected of me by God for the benefit of my community.

He of course is not alone; it seems to me increasingly that those who ostensibly serve themselves are largely motivated by selfish desires either of enrichment or emotional satisfaction - which of course is not emotionally satisfying at all to anyone but a psychopath.

So how am I different? I have no interest in controlling what anyone else does or does not do, beyond how they treat me. I will not accept the authority of "an office"; I will only accept the example of a better man or a man who is better at that particular task. I am the world's foremost and only expert at being me so why would I do what you say? I may consider your advice, I may follow your example, but I will not abrogate my responsibility for the consequences of my actions as those who hide behind an office in order to cause harm do.

No comments:

Post a Comment