Part 1: The Illusion of Political Change
This article is preserved as part of the historical record of this blog. It reflects the author's views at the time of publication. The content has not been substantively altered, although the HTML, accessibility and formatting have been updated to meet modern web standards.
Freddie Cohen at the end of the last election criticised the biased coverage of the election by the Jersey Evening Post, joining a long list of political figures in Jersey to have done so, for example Guy de Faye three years earlier.
The allegation has been made, by a source I will not disclose, that the Jersey Evening Post likes to see one "establishment" candidate ousted each election to perpetuate the illusion of change for the people of Jersey, whilst power remains firmly in the hands of the same interests.
Indeed, when I volunteered for the National Trust for Jersey Black Butter making, I took the opportunity to speak to some people who had voted for Sir Philip because I honestly do not know anyone who did. They told me that they felt they had no choice because, "We needed change." I agree with them but I do not think that Sir Philip is likely to bring about any real change.
In Jersey politics we know that what is said during an election is unlikely to come to pass and Sir Philip has shown a remarkable reluctance to accept any change either to the position of Bailiff or to Crown Officers.
I agree there is no need to personalise any criticism; debates should be won by strength of argument and on the basis of available evidence, but people have to be free to point out errors in the way the system works.
The "establishment" is not right simply because they are the establishment. I fear that Sir Philip's definition of change is simply to see fewer people arguing against the policies of the government in public.
The role of the media in a democratic society deserves careful examination. It is legitimate to ask whether media organisations simply report political events or whether, intentionally or otherwise, they influence the choices presented to the electorate and the public perception of candidates.
Historical Archive Update: This page was updated on 26 July 2026. The content has been preserved as originally published. This update was undertaken solely to modernise the HTML markup, improve accessibility, correct obvious spelling mistakes and grammatical slips, update obsolete links where appropriate, and bring the page into line with current web standards.
Yes I too have come across a number of Bailhache voters who really thought they were voting for change.
ReplyDeleteHe is not a right winger particularly. He is an authoritarian, as indicated by comments on the hustings about stopping backbenchers bringing unimportant propositions.