Sunday 10 February 2013

Entitlement to income support

The bare necessities of life 
Some time ago I offered on the SSTAG forums to assist people with writing appeals against the decisions of the Income Support department. Well as good as my word I have now completed the first appeal.

The first shock was simply to discover just how much money people are 'entitled' to.

The entitlement under Article 5 (2) of the Income Support (Jersey) Law 2007 as specified in the Income Support (Jersey) Regulations 2008 as amened by the Income Support (Amendment No. 8) (Jersey) Regulations 2012 to the basic component of income support is as follows for a family with two children:

Adult Rate: £92.12 per week (x 2)
Child Rate: £63.98 per week (x 2)
Household Rate: £49.56 per week (two bedroom flat)
Entitlement for rent is £203.49 per week

For a total of £565.25 per week.

To put that in perspective let's add on the tax and social security which would be deducted from a normal working family, so that is £655.59 per week, £2,841.33 per month or £34,095.88,  assuming tax at 10% and social security at 6%.

2 comments:

  1. So tell me Darius, how much is a single adult with no children entitled to?

    Or does that "perspective" not interest you because it lacks the shock value of a figure like £565?

    Maybe if you're ever unfortunate enough to find yourself forced to apply for income support you'll be in a position to blog about the reality of income support entitlement in even more shocked terms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend, I have lived in the homeless shelter and it is one of the most formative experiences I have had. I am never going back there, I am never trusting the government again.

    ReplyDelete